Headache is the most common neurological disease worldwide. Main factors causing headache are given below:
Side effects of medications
- Visual impairments
- High blood pressure
- Tissue and bone structure disorders appearing in old age
- Brain tumors
- Brain hemorrhage
- Tooth and gum diseases
Migraine is a type of headache. In migraine, pain is felt on one side of the head and every headache is not migraine.
Headache is one of the symptoms of migraine and the pain has certain features. Pain often comes in the form of attacks. Basically, migraine can be studied in 2 types.
- Migraine with aura: 1-2 hrs before the headache, flashing lights, zigzagging lines, dizziness, reduced strength, difficulty in taking may emerge and then, a severe headache starts.
- Migraine without aura: In migraine without aura, headache starts suddenly without showing any symptoms.
Headache is one of the symptoms of migraine and other symptoms of migraine can be listed as follows:
- Pain often comes in the form of attacks.
- Nausea may accompany the pain.
- Headache is usually starts unilaterally.
- During attacks, excess sensitivity to sound and light are felt.
- In some types of migraine, the pain is accompanied by severe dizziness.
Incidence of migraine is 10-12% in the society. It is more frequently seen in women. While there are findings that genetic predisposition is important in the case of migraine, its exact cause hasn't been determined. However it is known that a number of external factors trigger migraine attacks. These are:
- Alcohol , especially wine consumption
- Consumption of some types of cheese
- Tea and coffee consumption
- Weather changes
- Menstruation: It has been stated that a migraine attack may start because of rapid decline of estrogen level during menstruation. This type of pain is called menstruation headache.
Medications are used to treat migraine; medicines are used to reduce frequency and severity of an attack rather than treat migraine.